Thursday, March 10, 2011

Yachts


I'm still trying to figure out the whole yacht thing. It's like severe motorhomes of the sea. Motorhomin' ain't campin' and yachtin' ain't boatin'. But hey, they do have a place to plug in their curling iron. We were dogged in our tracks pretty much the whole trip by several "yots". There were three in particular, but a forth caused me a passing glance. It was a tiny little thing that boasted among its scanty outfitting a Eurocopter EC135.

It followed us around for a few days. I didn't take pictures of it. I apply the same policy as I do to limos. I never look because I imagine someone inside going "we're really important...I bet he looks". I sent a couple email inquiries back to the BVI asking if they might be able to tell me who she was and was told that inquiries of this nature are considered bad form. I was told that it is a private vessel and not a charter. I can pretty much guarantee that there was someone on board with dark glasses and an automatic weapon.

I guess one way I could look at it is these people could conspicuously consume anywhere on the planet they choose, and they chose to do it in the BVI, so that makes us equals, right?. Hell, they could conspicuously consume without even leaving the berth. Did I get that right? Rich folk have berths, the rest of us have docks? Or is it slip? I'm so confused. My head hurts. Why oh why was I cursed to be among the merely affluent? Now where did I put those razor blades.....

There were three that were chasing us around that we did get the names of so I could look them up. The smallest, who commands only $85,000 per week was the Sweet Escape.


The next piece of flotsam we had to deal with was Miss Michelle. She comes in at a paltry $120,000 per week.


My favorite, (also at $120,000 per) only because we spent so much time entertaining ourselves with binoculars is the Seven Sins. Seven Sins anchored right behind us one night while we were cooking dinner.


The boat comes complete with lackeys. It was particularly humorous to watch when the young folk came back to the boat in the evening. They had a towel lackey standing by who would wrap a nice dry towel around each spoiled brat as they came on board. Later, as they dined on the fantail or whatever nautical feature that was they were surrounded by waitresses. Oops...I'm sorry...waitpersons.
As we were preparing dinner I could just imagine the following scenario:

Young person on Seven Sins with binoculars:
"Hey man, you gotta check this out. No really, you gotta see this. I think they're preparing their own food!"
"No way!"
"I'm not kidding. You gotta see this!"

While researching these boats I did come across a little barge that I think should be considered for next year. It's called the Miribella V, and only goes for $420,000 per week. At 248' she's the largest single masted sailing vessel in the world. Unfortunately, she'll only make 20 knots under sail.




I am, however, a bit concerned regarding the adequacy of some of her amenities. Paricularly the Main Salon:



And the dining facilities:


However, at such a low price I might be able to overlook some of these deficiencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment